Sunday, October 22, 2006

Are You Experienced?



I have been following Sue Trowbridge’s great multi-post account of her vacation in Vegas. I blogged twice about us passing through Vegas and while the city is full of spectacle, the most impressive display to me was the Fremont Street Experience. While the Bellagio fountains are stunning, they are not nearly as immersive or hallucinogenic as the Fremont Street show. In order to bring tourists back to the old downtown strip, the city has turned the original strip into a covered open air mall. Four times a night, the ceiling turns into a giant video screen three blocks long.

We caught the last show of the night which featured a stunning air and space spectacular. The show is nearly six minutes long and my video is a single shot with no editing. If and when you are in Vegas, make the trip downtown and catch a show you will never see anywhere else.

Blatant Comment Whoring™: What is your favorite light show or tourist extravaganza?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dayum, I totally missed the FSE -- however, I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that I immediately recognized it from your video as the place where "Damnocracy" from VH1's reality show "Supergroup" played their concert.

There's a rain storm every hour on the hour inside the Aladdin's shopping arcade.

Just in case anyone wants to read my LV posts in order and follow my real-time conversion from Vegas skeptic to Vegas booster: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3.

Elizabeth said...

Hi,
That light show looks really cool. I'd love to go to Las Vegas!
When I was little we lived near Niagara Falls and when it freezes in the winter they had a light show on the frozen falls. Not very exciting, but my mom loved it and I got dragged along.

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

That's amazing technology! I just hope they don't allow cars down that road anymore. I would imagine it would be pretty distracting trying to drive with all that going on over your head.

I could probably do without the 747 crashing into me though.